Safe Environment Policy
While Holy Sepulcher Parish welcomes the participation of all, we also take very seriously the Diocesan Safe Environment Policy. This policy was created to take every possible measure to assure that Church personnel and all volunteers are committed to providing a safe environment for children and youth. We must ensure that all those involved with parish-sponsored activities are capable of identifying and preventing the abuse of children and youth, and have no personal history of behavior that would be a threat to children.
The Safe Environment Policy applies to all those 18 years of age and older, whether clergy, members of consecrated life, or laity, who, as employees or volunteers, act in the name of the Church under the auspices of the Diocese of Pittsburgh or one of its parishes.
To begin the process of obtaining your clearances or updating your clearances, please contact Jo Scheller at 724-586-7610 ext. 305 or email@example.com
Thank you for taking the time to help us protect the children and youth of our parish.
Obtaining Your Clearances
Holy Sepulcher Parish and School is committed to the safety of all children and to meeting the Safe Environment requirements set out by both the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the State of Pennsylvania. To comply with the mandates of the Church, all parents and adults wanting to participate in any school activities (field trips, classroom visits, cafeteria shifts, etc.) or any parish ministries (Faith Formation, Youth Ministry, Social Ministries, etc.) will be required to complete and submit the following items:
- DIOCESAN DATABASE
- PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES REPORT (CHILD ABUSE CLEARANCE)
- PROTECTING GOD'S CHILDREN (VIRTUS)
- FBI CLEARANCE (FINGERPRINTS TAKEN) or WAIVER (SIGN A WAIVER INSTEAD OF GETTING FINGERPRINTS)
- COMPLETE THE "MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING" (ONLINE CLASS) **this item is only required for those in ministries with children**
Because these take some time, parents and adults are highly encouraged to start this process early so that clearances will be in place when activities arise.
- Contact Jo Scheller before beginning the clearance process. She will be able to provide the access codes and all information needed to complete the process.
- Photocopies of clearances obtained through work or other volunteer positions are able to be used to fulfill these requirements. Please bring a copy of your certificate of completion or your clearance results to the parish office, ATTN: JO SCHELLER.
- Most clearance websites are not formatted to work correctly on cell phones or iPads. Please use a regular laptop or desktop PC to complete your clearance applications.
- Please allow one (1) week for your clearances to be received and entered into your files by our staff. We are blessed to have a large parish with many needs.
- Once all your clearances have been received, you will be sent a CONFIRMATION EMAIL. If you have not received this email, you have not been cleared for volunteering at this time.
- If you are unsure of your clearance status, please email Jo Scheller at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you have completed the above requirements, you will receive an email stating that you are eligible to volunteer. For the safety of our children, adults will not be allowed to volunteer at any school or parish activity or function until all clearances are completed.
If you have any questions, please contact Jo Scheller, Safe Environment Coordinator, at 724-586-7610 ext. 305 or by email at email@example.com
We are so grateful to the many adults who complete clearances each year, thank you!
*Note, only the Child Abuse and the Fingerprinting clearances expire and need to be renewed every 5 years. All others are a one-time requirement.